Teaching & Education
Usually, a career in education would involve some form of a teaching job and it is suggested that people choose to follow this path as it offers work in both a creative and challenging environment. Numbers in teaching positions in all areas still remain high. Teaching can be part of a lot of sectors even including the business world, namely corporate training.
There are many areas of work in the educational sector from pre-primary like playschool or Montessori schools, to primary, secondary, ‘second chance’ education programmes, further education colleges, third level like universities and institutes of technology.
The Department of Education and Skills (DES) are in charge of the education system in Ireland. Several other bodies have responsibility for different aspects of education policy in Ireland:
- National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NCCA) – advises on curricular objectives
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) – standards, skills or competencies acquired by learners
- Department of Education Inspectorate – evaluates the quality of schooling
- Teaching Council – focuses on training, qualifications, professional development, and standards
- Education and Training Boards (ETBs) – manage vocational education at a regional level
- Higher Education Authority (HEA) – funding and advisory body in relation to third level sector