This sector is all about providing help, care and support across the general community. Then people can also work in partnership with those who experience marginalisation, disadvantages or who have special needs. In a social or caring career you could be involved with working with both clients and their families, often for a long period of time.
Some ways in which you may assist these people:
- Supporting and helping vulnerable people; older people; people who are homeless; adolescents in residential care; people recovering from alcohol or drug dependency; people who are immigrants
- Caring for people with learning disabilities or with physical disabilities
- Giving advice and information about welfare rights, education, money, careers or jobs to people who need it
- Working in a community education centre, engaging local people of all ages in different learning activities
- Counselling people to help them sort out problems in their lives, an area where you must develop a trusting relationship with your client.