The Drugs.ie ‘Let’s Talk about Drugs’ National Youth Media Awards is an annual competition which encourages discussion of drug-related issues by inviting young people to produce a piece of original content relating to drug and/or alcohol use.
Drugs.ie ‘Lets Talk about Drugs’ Media Awards: Communication among youth is vital.
Drug use among Irish youth is above the EU average and Ireland now has the 5th highest rate of drug-related deaths among under 25’s in the EU. In addition, a UN report in 2013 found that consumption levels of new synthetic drugs in Ireland were three times the EU average. The Drugs.ie ‘Let’s Talk about Drugs’ National Youth Media Awards encourages discussion of drug and alcohol-related issues by inviting young people to produce a piece of original content relating to drug and/or alcohol use. The competition is supported by The HSE National Social Inclusion Office; The Drug Policy Unit in the Department of Health; Healthy Ireland and Cosc – The National Office for the Prevention of Domestic, Sexual and Gender-based Violence in the Department of Justice and Equality.
How to enter
- Read the Tips on entering and Terms and conditions before you begin planning and working on an entry. These contain important information on the structure and submission of entries.
- Pick a theme (see ‘Themes for 2016’ below)
- Conduct your research – see Tips on entering for research suggestions.
- Create a piece of original content, based on your chosen theme, in one of the following formats: (a) News article; (b) Video/animation; (c) Audio recording; (d) Poster design.
- Submit your entry along with a completed entry form. See the Enter the competition page for further details.
Age categories for entries are: 12-14; 15-17; 18-21; 21-25.
Entries will be accepted as a group project or an individual entry. Entrants can enter the competition as many times as they like by entering different formats on one or both themes OR by participating in a group project and submitting an individual entry.
Themes for 2016
- Theme 1: What are the hidden harms of alcohol use?
- Theme 2: What are the effects of drug use?
Deadlines & prizes
Get your entry to us by the deadline for entries on Friday the22nd of January 2016 and be in with a chance to win the overall prize of €2000 and have your work published on the Drugs.ie website or broadcast! All age category winners also receive an iPad Mini and a certificate.
Judging will take place between February 2016 and April 2016. It is anticipated that the awards ceremony will be held in April 2016 in Dublin. Attendance is by invite only.
Funders and supporters
We are grateful to the following for their support in 2016: The HSE National Social Inclusion Office; The Drug Programmes and Policy Unit in the Department of Health; Healthy Ireland; COSC– The National Office for the Prevention of Domestic, Sexual and Gender-based Violence in the Department of Justice and Equality; and The Ana Liffey Drug project.
The Let’s Talk about Drugs Media Awards was developed as a local competition by Greater Blanchardstown Response to Drugs in 2007. Since 2014 the initiative has been further developed as a national competition and is now managed by The Ana Liffey Drug Project.
Full details and entry forms are available on drugs.ie/awards.