Choose a career in tax as an AITI Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA)

career in tax

What is a career in tax all about?
Tax is at the heartbeat of all commercial transactions – and impacts everyone from individuals right through to large multinational companies. Tax is based on legislation, so coming up with tax advice means unravelling and investigating the rules in legislation and putting together tax advice that makes a real financial difference.

What type of work will I be doing?
A career in tax as a CTA could mean working with and advising some of the key people and corporates in Ireland and abroad – from home-grown tech start-ups, pioneering biomedical multinationals, global investment banks to the leading entrepreneurs with the most innovative and revolutionary business concepts. It could mean working with the Revenue Commissioners, Department of Finance or the EU Commission advising on key areas of Irish and EU tax policy and shaping the legislation.

Where could I work?

CTAs work in:
• Professional services firms
• Legal firms
• The corporate sector
• Financial services
• Public sector

There are 5,000 CTAs working in Ireland, and over 28,000 CTAs working all over the world.

What do I need to study at college to become a CTA?
It’s more about your qualities and skills that you bring to the career rather than what you study at college. A lot of CTAs have studied business, accounting, or law at college, but graduates from engineering, science or humanities, go on to have really successful careers in tax.
Here are some of the top skills for a career in tax:

• A creative thinker • A flair for innovative problem solving
• Analytical know how • Persistent and resilient
• A natural communicator • An aptitude for numbers
• Commercial acumen

So, if I want to work in tax, I need to qualify as a CTA – how do I do that?
If you graduate with a Level 8 degree (in any discipline), you can register with the Irish Tax Institute as a student. There are three parts to the qualification, but depending on your undergraduate degree (or postgraduate degree); you may be entitled to some exemptions from Part 1. After you complete all three parts, you will be a CTA.

Normally you will get a tax trainee role with a firm, so you will be working during the day while doing this qualification part-time. Firms generally advertise on the “milk round”, so look out for this in your final year at college.

What should I be doing if I am interested in becoming a CTA?
It’s never too early to make career decisions! Here are a few suggestions:

  • Check out for everything you need to know about the career and the qualification!
  • Talk to your career counsellor or business studies teacher – they are a great starting point to guide you in the right direction.
  • Speak to people in the profession – they will give you great ideas about where to start!



For more information why not visit our website or visit the profiles of any of our professionals below.